Sunday, August 29, 2010

THE OBJECTS I HAVE CARRIED AROUND SUVA THIS WEEK

People may start to recognise me as that Asian girl who carries around random things.

There are certain places which you buy or obtain certain things. For example, you find the best meat in Flagstaff which is 20 minutes walk down the road, the better pool to swim in is a further 20 minutes, the place where you find the best curry is about 30 minutes in the other direction and the cheapest toilet paper is somewhere in between. We do not own a car and catching taxis ALL the time tends to rack up a bit of a bill, despite the fact that they are cheap to begin with. So the only option is to either catch a bus or walk in a massive circular route to get all the necessary shopping items. This may result in carrying a huge stash of toilet paper on the way to the curry restaurant or carrying all of your veggies from the market across town to the butcher.

On Monday, I walked 40 minutes and bought a guitar:



Which I then carried on a 30 minute walk to the bus station to take it home. I was aware that the guitar, in comparison to my own small stature, made me look like a suspended guitar with a pair of legs walking down the street. Hence, I received some stares from passing people.

On Wednesday, I walked 20 minutes to school, collected a banana leaf:



And then walked 15 minutes with Emily into the city to the market with my massive banana leaf because it was on the way home. People yelled out at me: "hey! Banana leaf, eh?!". Thankyou. I am quite aware that I have a banana leaf.

On Sunday, I walked 20 minutes to the only place I had seen coconut brooms for sale:



I bought my broom and carried it through Suva a further 25 minutes to the pool where we then went for a swim. Yes Mum, I wore suncscreen. I am well aware that it looks like I have no pants on in my picture, but I have shorts on underneath.

Today, who knows what I'll be carrying across town?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Manda,
    I have to say -- you look just like your mum in that photo.
    What are the posters on the back wall, too small to work out, even when enlarged!
    enjoy the pool -- Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a perfectly good skirt you had on.. but you've turned it into a fricken' sweep! :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. we should tie your bike on a "Man vs wild"-made raft and float it over to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. or take all that you've bought and made a raft to paddle home with to visit home

    ReplyDelete
  5. May be you should learn to balance things on your head.... I am expecting a photo of you carrying a pot of water on your head.

    ReplyDelete