Saturday, December 25, 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Merry Christmas to all my readers and to all the loved ones I have seen or not seen over this Melbourne Christmas break.

I've been back in Melbourne for 2 weeks just to catch up with family, friends and stock up on a whole heap of junk that I can't get in Fiji.

I also nearly destroyed Australia's ecosystem when I declared my shoes for inspection at customs. I had been traipsing through rural Fiji in rainy season rains (which are different from normal rains as they are MUCH more fiesty), which also meant walking through rural soil, mud, etc.

As I pulled my shoes out for close inspection, a spider jumped out from my shoes and scuttled straight to the customs officer. In true Aussie, "Border Security" fashion, she yelled out "SPOIDER!! SPOIDER!" and slammed her hand down on its small feeble black body. Followed by: "Oy Pete! We need the ! We got a live one..".

Welcome home, you've arrived in Australia.

A trio of singing, guitar brandishing, happy men is to Fiji airport as stringent, jumpy customs officers are to Australia.

I did feel slightly guilty for bringing in a live spider into the country, but I did get my shoes cleaned in ultra-strong paint-stripper strength fluid though. Hope my shoes don't fall apart!

And here are a few photos just because I haven't posted any up in a while: They're from Abaca park, somewhere in between Nadi and Lautoka.



No comments:

Post a Comment